Saturday 12 December 2020

Turning the compost bins

 Yesterday the weather was really mild and thankfully dry. The forecast had been pretty terrible so it was a bonus to be able to get out in the garden and do some work. All three compost bins have been given a thorough turning. I was surprised to see how dry it was deeper into the bin as the tops looked quite soggy. My new shed is due to arrive on Monday and as soon as the paint dries on it I can begin tidying up the 'utility area' of the garden. I have so many plans for next year and can hardly wait to begin sowing seeds. I plan to try 'multi sowing' in order to make the most of every bit of space in the tiny greenhouse. I have been amazed at just how much fresh produce we have been able to harvest from the garden in a very short space of time. As soon as Christmas is finished and everything is packed away I can turn the conservatory into a seed starting zone. The propagator will be put to very good use next year and all the windowsills can be utilised too.

4 comments:

  1. That sounds so exciting to me! I've tried to have a garden so many times and have never done well at all. I look forward to watching your progress :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had an allotment many years ago but it is so much easier to grow things in my own garden.

      Delete
  2. Ah....we had totally emptied our compost bin last spring, and were careful to layer it all through the year. Hubby tilled second week in November when it was mild...hopefully that's enough until spring...Great reminder for gardeners though! When we add now---he just digs a hole and turns some compost over on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tripled the amount of compost that I am producing now. It will come in very handy once the growing season starts.

      Delete