Friday 29 January 2021

Busy in the garden

 I've had a thoroughly lovely few hours in the garden today creating a new raised bed and potting things up.  We discovered many years ago that our Pelargoniums survive the winter if they are kept somewhere dry so each year I put them up on top of the log store under the pergola. It's been a Godsend having a plastic roof on the pergola as it's created a smashing space for me to potter on even when it's raining. Today I have potted  all the pelargoniums on into bigger pots and given them a feed with some pelleted chicken manure. They've all had a little splash of water and then I put them back on top of the log store. They can sit there until May when the risk of frost has gone. I've also potted up the rest of the Jerusalem Artichokes in big pots and put them in a neat row behind some of my small raised bed planters. I can't prepare the new raised bed yet as I have loads of bulbs coming through there. As soon as I can identify them I will move them to a different bit of the garden. Then I can set down a load of cardboard and build up the layers of compost in the raised bed.  I've moved the tall chimney pot to the side of the garden and filled it with rotting leaves and compost. I use this as a mini compost bin and this year I plan to fill it right to the top and plant a couple of courgettes in. They can trail down the side of the pot and then at the end of the growing season I can just stuff all the greenery into the chimney pot to add to the compost in there.

New raised bed

Winter sown veg seeds waiting to sprout. 

Jerusalem Artichoke pots

The garden today.



10 comments:

  1. You have been busy Cherie! Your garden is looking great – super organized.

    What a handsome mini compost bin and it will make a lovely courgette pot.

    Pelargoniums are a lot hardier than given credit for. They survived six years in pots in my old Hull terrace. They were eventually pipped off by three months of snow!

    Lulu x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to train a couple into standards this year

      Delete
  2. Hi Cherie, I just wanted to say how lovely your garden looks! Anona mentioned that you lived near Middlesborough, that's an area we're considering when we finally have enough saved to start looking for a house. Are you happy there?

    ~Frugal Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo. I live on the outskirts of Middlesbrough and it is lovely. The people are smashing and property is dirt cheap. Have a look on' Right Move' at properties in your budget and I'll go and have a drive past for you. In fact if you give me an idea of what kind of house you have in mind I'll check out some on right move for you.

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much, Cherie! We won't be in a position to move for another two years, I'm glad to know it's a nice area. We'll be looking for a property with at least two bedrooms, not too big, but with a very decent size garden to grow food and the ability to have chickens. At the moment our budget is looking like it will be around £80k.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might also consider Stockton on Tees.. Roseworth is fine. ex local authority but I wouldn't object to living there. Decent houses, close to local hospital/school and shopping precinct. Hardwick estate has a bad name but I lived there in my distant past and the majority of people were fine.. Salt of the earth and very kind. Norton also has good property but be careful as there is a bad bit that you wouldn't want to live. Plenty of property in your price bracket up here.

      Delete
    2. Such a pity we didn't know sooner. My son sold his house last year in Roseworth for £72000. It was a lovely house. Two big reception rooms, three bedrooms. Small but nice garden and driveway for the car

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for your help, Cherie! We would be very happy in an ex local authority house. We had one years ago and it was very well built with a huge garden. I am making a list of the places you've mentioned for when we finally have our deposit saved. Do you know anything about Marske, Loftus, or Brotton?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We looked at those areas a few years ago but didn't think the gardens were particularly big. Some parts are quite rural too so a bit too remote for us.

      Delete
  5. Thank you - I will check out Roseworth ❤️

    ReplyDelete