Monday 25 January 2021

Jerusalem Artichokes

 On Saturday my packet of  tubers arrived so I planted three of them. One each in a big bucket sized pot. I've stood the pots on top of a very thick  heavy duty piece of cardboard so that they can't push out into the soil under the pot and become a problem. I've set them down at the bottom of the garden behind some of my veg planters where they will sit all year and not cast a shade over the garden but will get sunshine from first thing in the morning until early evening. The rest of the tubers will get planted in the next week or two and some will be placed next to our garden arch at the front of the house. They are going to be very tall and will make quite a statement.  I've chosen that spot as it gets plenty of sunshine and I will be able to tie the plants to the arch to stop them all falling over. Like everything else in the garden this year it will be an experiment to see how well they grow.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, I've been meaning to grow some of these. They look so pretty.

    You know what they say happens to you if you eat them though?!? ;)

    Lulu x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lulu. I watched a You Tube video yesterday and the man reduces all the lower leaves on his artichokes and grows runner beans up the stalks. Two crops in one pot so I am now planning on trying that in four of the artichoke pots to see if it works.
      Do you think I should buy a kite as it might be very windy this Autumn :-)

      Delete