Monday 8 February 2021

Windowsill gardening

 Although it's way too soon for me to be thinking about sowing much in the way of seeds I have a few things growing away on my kitchen windowsill. I have three baby avocado seedlings that I have grown from the stones. I'm  amazed that they didn't lose all their leaves as the kitchen is blimmin perishing. We don't have any heating in there. There are two taller ones and a short one.  Different stones from different types of avocado though I doubt that they will ever bear any fruit. 


Then there are the two celery bases that I am re growing.  I cut the stalks off celery from shop bought ones and set the bases on a saucer of water. This morning I have potted them on into some compost. They are already starting to sprout again from the centre and they've only been on the windowsill for a few days.  With a bit of luck I can plant them out in the veg plot when the weather warms up.

Celery shootiing back from the base

On the bedroom windowsill I have melon, pepper and chilli seeds sprouting.  They are quite pampered sitting above the radiator all day and moved to my dressing table through the night. The melons are pushing out healthy looking seedlings and the chilli and peppers are showing signs that they might be sprouting. They will all be potted on and kept indoors for quite some time as the weather will need to be nice and warm before they can be hardened off and planted outdoors.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Cherie, great idea for the celery! Your avocado plants look really healthy. I have an avocado plant that I started from seed four years ago. For the past two years, I have left it out in a tiny pot on the patio over winter and it has survived. This autumn, I put it in a much larger pot, so I hope it perks up and puts on a lot of spring growth this year. Avocados have been known to fruit in London. What type of melons are you growing? Lulu x

    ReplyDelete