Thursday 10 June 2021

Gone to seed--- Picture heavy

I've just cleared out a load of radish and spinach as it's started running to seed. In truth I am sick of the sight of radishes and they won't be missed. I sowed far too many and I won't do that again. There's only so many radish two people can eat. Even my neighbour is turning them down. 

Jerusalem Artichokes are starting to fly up now


The peas are smothered in flowers and I've planted Kalettes and Sprouts in the pallet bed.  There a row of marigold and busy lizzie in the front of these beds just for a splash of colour. There's coriander coming along nicely but all the spinach and radish had bolted so they are now in the compost bin

This bed is doing amazingly well though I've packed the veggies in a bit too close together.  There's Florence Fennel,  mini pumpkins, rainbow chard, Sprouts (for the leaves) Kale and a couple of red cabbage.

The onions and garlic are swelling nicely and  today I pulled a couple of garlic bulbs that were looking a bit droopy. The garlic is every bit as big as the ones I buy in the shops though it won't store too well so I will give some away to my son when we next see him. I'll clear out the onion bed in another month or so and then add a load more compost to refresh it.  Not sure yet what I will put in there.. Possibly some lettuce but I'll know a bit closer to the time
Onions and garlic on the left and Sprouts and cabbage on the right

If the cabbage does well I am planning on making enough Sauerkraut to last us through the winter as we both really like the taste of it

I had three spare sweetcorn and a red cabbage looking for a spot so I cleared the radish from this tub and popped them in there. They are flying up now

Sweetcorn underplanted with snowball turnip
The little turnips will be harvested long before they are swamped by the corn.... I hope  :-)

I've emptied the pot of mint that was sitting on the chimney pot.  We have a huge tub of mint in the front garden and I can use the pot for something else
Hostas are looking gorgeous

Grass seed starting to sprout on the bald bit.... At long last.


It's perfect gardening weather though we could do with a good downpour of rain now. It just needs to  give everything a thorough  drenching when it does rain to save me getting the hosepipe out. 

1 comment:

  1. I love a good crunchy radish, send them over to me Cherie! You know, I have about six packets of different radishes that I have completely forgotten to sow this year. Last time I tried, they were so spicy they almost blew my head off. I am a little bit excited about your mini pumpkins and snowball turnip. Lulu x

    ReplyDelete