Thursday 9 May 2024

Growing potatoes for free

 About three or four weeks ago I peeled some shop bought Melody potatoes. I didn't peel them thickly but the skins were so full of shoots that it seemed a shame to chuck them out.  After leaving them to dry for a few days I potted them into small pots and waited till shoots appeared before potting them into bigger pots.  I've just used a big plastic tub that had been blowing around my friend's street for about three weeks.  The compost was free from the local authority and the pine bark was given to me free last year. The only cost is a couple of pence worth of straw. They don't even actually need the straw but it looks nice on the surface of the pots. 

My carrots are sprouting in the Greenstalk so they'll be ready to pick later in the year. Radish will be ready to eat in a couple of weeks and I'm going to plant some in a pot and let them go to seed and develop pods to eat.  I have a decent size cucumber growing in the porch and a couple of Florence fennel that overwintered in one of my veg beds is big enough to cut bits off



No comments:

Post a Comment