Saturday 23 October 2021

My lovely new veg beds

 I've had a busy morning making my new raised beds.  I slept till just after 8am which is amazing for me but obviously I couldn't start hammering before 9 as it wouldn't make me very popular with the neighbours. I had the new veggie beds all made and ready to roll before Tony crawled out of bed. 


I used some brown packaging paper that came in a parcel from Amazon as a bit of a weed suppressant though it isn't really needed there as we put loads of cardboard down last year and nothing has grown through. Then we nipped to our local garden centre and Tony bought me a load of compost, some asparagus crowns and some onion sets.


The raised pallet beds on the right look really untidy and hadn't been as productive as I'd hoped they would be so they had to go.


The blue tub was full of beetroot, lettuce and spring onions and we didn't want to lose them. We filled up the new bed with reindeer poo, compost from an old growbag and three bags of multi purpose compost. Then I took all the plants out of the blue tub


Tony helped me remove the pallet bed and lift the new raised bed into position. It looks so much tidier and has given me more room to grow lovely veggies. I was pleased to see that we didn't lose any of the veg that was already growing there.


The veggies that came out of the blue tub have been transplanted into the new raised bed along with some more lettuce, some garlic and some onion sets


And this is how my new raised beds look now.  A good day's work methinks.


I have planted the asparagus crowns at the very bottom end of the garden. It will get full sun but won't shade the plants there. In a few years time we hope to eat fresh picked asparagus dripping with butter. 


5 comments:

  1. Oh, lovely. It's exciting to think of how you will grow things in the coming years!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've loved expanding the veggie garden this past year. I hope to grow a whole load more next year.

      Delete
  2. Ooh, they look fab! Mmm, asparagus - what luxury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll be a while before we get our first pickings but we are so looking forward to trying some.

      Delete
  3. Wow! Good job :) You got those beds up quickly Cherie and very smart they look too. I love freshly picked asparagus, so much tastier than the supermarket stuff. Lulu xXx

    ReplyDelete