Tuesday 10 May 2022

Green garlic and my potato challenge update

Yesterday I harvested some green garlic and an onion from the onion bed. The green garlic is simply garlic that is picked long before it has chance to split into cloves. I plan on growing a lot of this in buckets at the back end of the year as it's just so sweet and tasty and and takes up hardly any room for such a useful crop. I'm taking alternate onions to give the others a chance to swell and grow to a good size and this one was just so sweet and tender. I've got a great crop of them coming but also loads of spring onions which I intend to leave to reach a good size too. They make great cooking onions and look almost like a leek with a bulbous end. I never discard the green bit of onions but use the entire thing


 How are your spuds doing.  I've just googled my variety and I planted Maris Piper on the 21st January and they should be ready between eighteen and twenty weeks after planting. I'm expecting mine to be ready  at the end of June but please make sure you google your own particular variety if you decided to join me. I'm quite excited to see just how many spuds I get from the 500g that I planted in a variety of tubs and buckets... And when they are ready you could try refreshing the compost with a bit of fertiliser,  popping a few back in and seeing if you get a second crop for Christmas. 

Some of my spuds


 I'm also taking part in Digwell Greenfinger single seeds potato challenge over on You Tube and those spuds are looking very green and healthy. I'm told that harvest date is October for those and it's like waiting to open a Christmas present and not knowing what's inside. The ones below are part of the #ssp challenge 2022





1 comment:

  1. Your spuds are looking great Cherie. Seeing as I only got round to planting mine t'other week, I'm not holding my breath. Might try some Christmas ready ones though in the greenhouse x

    ReplyDelete