Sunday 2 October 2022

A lovely day for gardening

 Tony and I have hauled the big pots from the front to the back garden where I had dug holes to plant the trees into.  We had a bit of a struggle with one of the trees but I now have two done and only one more to get into the ground.  We've both been pottering on in the garden and have stopped for a spot of lunch and in Tony's case a snooze.  I'm heading back out there while the weather is nice and warm. I took the stump of the fallen tree kale out of the big tub and have created a bulb lasagna tub. It's going to look so pretty in spring next year and then it will follow on through the summer with gladioli and dahlias. I'm chancing my arm leaving the dahlias outdoors as there's plenty of compost on top of them and I reckon the flowering bulbs will protect them too.  I've plenty of seeds if they don't come through the winter. With a bit of luck we can get loads of dried leaves towards the end of the month and I can put a thick layer on the top of the bulb tub. I've harvested one butternut squash and there's three more little ones left to harvest if they ripen in time. fingers crossed that they do.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Cherie, I left my dahlia tubers int he ground for the first time last year. I did loose three - mostly from the wet I think. But the ones that did spring back have been twice the height they normally are. Oooh, a lovely butternut squash. My brother was showing off some butternut squash that he's grown on his allotment. You enjoy m' luverly x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to plant one or two butternuts in the front garden next year. It gets a lot more sun early in the season

      Delete