Tuesday 23 November 2021

Blimey it's cold

 Brrrr, the weather has changed very quickly these past few days so tomorrow I intend to put the polythene covers on some of the raised beds. They had a good water when it rained last night so should be fine once they are covered up snug and warm.

Today I may well have picked the last of the radish pods though there are still a few flowers left so never say never. The lettuce are coming along really well and 47 of the fifty onion sets that I planted are showing through the soil. The Kalettes look amazing as do the sprouts and three types of Kale.  The white fly didn't seem as bad when I had a walk around my plot today. Hopefully the worst is over and the brassicas can start to recover. The two perennial Kale cuttings that Steve gave me earlier this year are looking really strong and healthy and the Florence fennel that I cut back have thrown up some really strong shoots. It's a lovely fresh clean taste and gorgeous in a mixed salad. I have a couple of tubs of peas that I planted for shoots and tomorrow I'll tuck them under the polythene cloche to give them a bit of protection. They'll add some lovely fresh pea taste to the salads and will make a welcome addition. I've got a couple of rows of  decent leeks and will be making some lovely cheesy baked leeks in a few weeks time. 

4 comments:

  1. It really is quite bitter outside now, isn't it. What a change.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brrrrrr indeed Cherie. I'm warming m' cockles with a cuppa. How exciting to have Kalettes. Have you grown these before? I look forward to the cheesy baked leeks :) Lulu x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope those cockles are toastie warm now. It's my first year for Kalettes and I'm really impressed with them so far.

      Delete