Tuesday 25 January 2022

Fresh from the garden

 I've spent the morning cooking curries and casseroles and with very few exceptions all the veg came from my garden only minutes before I prepped and cooked it. 

Celeriac, leeks,potatoes swede and blown sprouts

The potatoes have cost me absolutely nothing as they were grown from some hairy spuds from the bottom of a sack. I threw them onto some old potting compost mixed with a bit of reindeer poo and covered them with chipped bark in a big tub. I'd already harvested enough for our Christmas dinner from the tub and wasn't sure whether there would be any left in the tub..... there was and they are beautiful. Only one of them had a bit of slug damage and they've simply been  left to their own devices all winter. I didn't cover them or protect them in any way and they had a few coverings of snow this past couple of months.  I'm planning on growing far more potatoes this coming season.


The peppers in the rogan josh were picked from the overwintered plants in my bedroom. They weren't very big but have added a nice splash of colour to the curry. 

Lamb rogan josh

I used up the remainder of a leg of lamb to make a beautiful hotpot. Along with some shop bought carrots there's celeriac, swede, dried courgette, dried mixed herbs, leeks and potatoes all grown by my own fair hands.  I boiled up the lamb bone and made a delicious stock to cook them all in before transferring to the oven proof dish and topping with sliced potatoes... home grown of course.  It's a proper one pot meal but I'm going to steam some blown sprouts to serve with it. We had some yesterday and they were as tender and sweet as anything.


4 comments:

  1. Absolutely delicious, all of it!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, great tatties from the bottom of the bag sprouts! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm planning on buying a cheap bag of spuds from the supermarket and using them as seed potatoes

      Delete